Sunday 26 October 2014

Mini Roll Tower - A Last Minute Cake Emergency

Hi There!
Thank you for stopping by!

Today Mr M. sprung it on me that he needed a cake for a 9 year old...in an hour!  While I am a fairly standard baker, skilled in making brownies and the odd sponge cake, Super Woman, I am not…or am I?  Not one to shy away from a challenge, I did some quick thinking – a speedy dash to the supermarket for a shop bought version? or a maximum impact creation with what I have?….


Scouring the cupboards I found the following:
  • a family pack of mini rolls
  • a share bag of Malteasers (not full)
  • a share bag of Aero bubbles (again, not full)
  • a few squares of milk chocolate
  • and a pack of cocktail sticks


How these things were in my cupboards, largely untouched is nothing short of a miracle!



As I have recently started a blog, I saw this as the ideal opportunity to turn the situation into a blog post / tutorial – here’s how I got on below.

Begin by cutting the mini rolls in half to make 24 equal sized cakes – I did this 3 at a time.



Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of water (trying not to ‘test’ it all – mm mm scrummy!)



Meanwhile carefully skewer the chocolate balls onto cocktail sticks – this is for decoration.



Use the melted chocolate to spread on one side of each cake piece, when pressed together and chilled, this will bond the pieces together – I also used this to drizzle on / splatter at the cake for extra decoration (and also to hide my messiness!)



When all the cakes are stacked on top of each other and cemented with the melted chocolate, begin sticking in the skewered balls, I did this completely randomly – you might want to take a bit more care in the design of this, although I think my finished creation works rather well!



Finish by tipping the remaining chocolate balls into the bottom of the dish and voila! – a pretty spectacular looking creation with fairly minimal effort. Put it in the fridge to chill so the chocolate you used for bonding sets solid.



The reaction I got from the 9 year old was 'Awesome! - can I have a bit?' And for me, that was the perfect judgement!

I hope you enjoyed reading about this and I’ve inspired you to have a go! Let me know how you get on in the comments below.


Lottie x

No comments:

Post a Comment